Monday, May 2, 2011

UBC Okanagan Athletic Media Release

Top BC High School point guard signs with Heat

Men's Basketball

KELOWNA, BC - Bret Macdonald, by the end of the high school season was widely regarded as the best point guard prospect in BC after leading his Terry Fox Raven’s to a bronze medal at the BC Boys High school basketball provincials last month. Bret earned himself a spot on the first all-star team in the process averaging 19.5 points per game; 5.5 rebounds per game and 6.25 assists per game as he played 157 of his team’s 160 total minutes during the Ravens run in the tournament.


The 6’1, 190 pound Macdonald considers himself, “a pass first point guard that can score when needed,” adding that he, “likes to play hard and will leave everything on the floor.” Heat head coach Darren Semeniuk agrees with Bret’s self-assessment adding the his new point guard displays, “good court vision and strong set of fundamentals most notably ball handling.”

Bret appears to be up for any role in his freshman campaign. “I plan on being the hardest working member of the Heat and I will do anything coach asks. Be it in a starting role, the first or last guy off the bench; no matter what role coach needs me to fill I plan to give it everything I possibly can.”

“I’m really excited to add a recruit of this calibre to help lead the team into the ultra-competitive Canada West conference,” adds Semeniuk. “Bret is from the same school as Mack Roth, a player I recruited last season to help us transition to Canada West. Every game I watched Bret play in his grade 12 year I noticed how he just kept getting better and better. I’m very excited for him and the team, and I think this is a great opportunity for Bret to come here, play basketball, and at the same time receive a world class education.”

Bret chose to attend UBC’s Okanagan campus entering the Bachelor of Arts program with an eye on transferring into Human Kinetics or education down the road as this school offered a great blend of academic possibilities and athletic opportunities for him. “This is the perfect situation for me to pursue my degree, I get to do something I love, play basketball, and I have a chance to earn a great degree from a great institution,” said Bret.

Another factor in Bret choosing UBC was coach Semeniuk, “I came up and watched a Heat game during the season and I really connected with the way he coached during the game especially his interaction and coaching of the players. I really got the feeling that coach Semeniuk is a great guy and I look forward to having a great partnership with him in the coming seasons.”

No comments:

Post a Comment